Thursday, July 18, 2013

Self-Harm Post

Being once a victim of self-harm, it is critical to understand that people do everything for a reason. Top reasons on why people commit self harm can range from:

  1. difficult relationships with friends or partners
  2. difficulties at school, such as not doing well academically
  3. difficulties at work
  4. being bullied, either at home, school or work
  5. worries about money
  6. alcohol or drug misuse
  7. coming to terms with your sexuality if you think you might be gay or bisexual
  8. coping with cultural expectations, for example, an arranged marriage
  9. Self-harm could also sometimes be a way of coping with a traumatic experience. For example:
  10. sexual, physical or emotional abuse, includingdomestic abuse and rape
  11. the death of a close family member or friend
These are just the tip of the iceberg, though. I believe that having a full understanding of why self-harm happens it can not only prevent someone from committing self-harm but can give insight to those who wish to help others that are self-harming, too. 

My story really isn't that different from anyone else's. My self-harm was due to lack of self-confidence, and mostly dwellings on the past (as in, my childhood). My siblings also had some impact on my decisions, but in the end it was always me who decided to take the blade and hurt myself.

And I want you to know that you aren't alone.

I have a tumblr, an email, and if it gets worse, there's always my phone number.

I'm here.


Tumblr: soaringheights.tumblr.com
Email: LindseyCurly@hotmail.com
Phone: Ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment